Top ranking for "a cut above the rest" D Young & Co in The Legal 500 UK 2024
D Young & Co has once again been ranked as top tier for UK patent and trade mark services by the Legal 500. We would like to thank our clients and peers who participated in the Legal 500’s research.
Client testimonials published in this edition of The Legal 500 include the following comments:
- D Young & Co has fantastic and very switched-on patent attorneys.
- The team at D Young & Co is a cut above the rest.
- Darren Lewis has a large brain and his advice is always sharp and impactful. You can always count on him to deliver on every aspect of the case with the utmost care, dedication, and precision.
- Tamsin Holman and Anna Reid are exceptional IP lawyers of the highest calibre. They consistently deliver high-quality legal work and advice, they are very practical, know their clients’ businesses well, and are extremely responsive to clients’ needs.
- We would highly recommend Tamsin Holman and Anna Reid for whatever IP-related matters you have in the UK.
- Matthew Dick and his team are smart, savvy, knowledgeable, and responsive. They offer practical advice on both prosecution and litigation matters, and cover all aspects of trade marks, as well as passing off.
The Legal 500 writes:
PATMA: patent attorneys tier 1
D Young & Co LLP has demonstrable expertise in patent prosecutions before the EPO, and has recently experienced an increase in FTO-related mandates. The electronics and engineering group and the biotechnology, chemistry, and pharmaceuticals team work both independently and collaboratively with each other to support its broad client base, which includes multinational corporations, universities, and research institutes.
Anthony Albutt is a key member of the group, and he leads the firm’s growing mechanical practice as a specialist in engineering, aerospace, and medical devices. Simon O’Brien has significant expertise in working with venture capital companies on biological and chemical-related mandates, and Darren Lewis is reputable in advising clients on infringement and validity issues. Lawrence King joined the team from Simmons & Simmons in February 2023.
PATMA: trade mark attorneys tier 1
D Young & Co LLP’s UK-based team, which includes both attorneys and solicitors, has ‘great technical ability’ and works cohesively alongside the firm’s Munich office to provide clients with a comprehensive, pan-European trade mark offering. It handles a large volume of filings and enforcement work, including oppositions, and its team members frequently appear before the UKIPO and EPO.
Previous co-practice head Jeremy Pennant retired in March 2023, so trade mark litigation and enforcement expert Tamsin Holman now solely leads the practice from London, and she is supported by solicitor Anna Reid; they are praised by one client ‘as exceptional IP lawyers of the highest calibre’. Richard Burton is another key name of note, and he is skilled in handling portfolio-related matters, especially disputes.
Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design tier 4
D Young & Co LLP routinely handles IP disputes, often involving a multi-jurisdictional element and key issues, such as passing off/unfair competition, registered designs and copyright infringement, to name a few.
Tamsin Holman helms the department, notably focusing on disputes and litigation matters, while Matthew Dick bolsters the practice with demonstrable experience in brand-related law and litigation, namely concerning trade marks. Anna Reid advises clients on various contentious matters, involving trade marks and passing off, copyright, designs and domain names, as well as cancellation of registered rights. Gemma Kirkland’s experience encompasses global portfolio management, alongside contentious opposition and cancellation actions before the UKIPO. Former practice head Jeremy Pennant recently retired.