The effective enforcement of your intellectual property rights (IPRs) can be crucial to protecting your business and reputation. Counterfeiting, as one of the most rapidly expanding economic crimes, poses a global threat to IPR owners and their ability to capitalise on their investment. Aside from lost revenue, counterfeiting can erode consumer confidence and, in the worst cases, can pose risks to the health and safety of consumers.
With the Customs Regulation (EU) No. 608/2013 having come into effect on 01 January 2014, we are assisting clients in a wide range of industries to make the most of the new measures. We have extensive experience of handling anti-counterfeiting matters. We can devise cost-effective strategies, tailored to your requirements, which are designed to catch counterfeits at the EU border and combat perpetrators within the market. Together with a network of trusted associates, we can support you in the war against counterfeiting across the whole of the EU and beyond.
Our services include:
- IPRs registration – we offer the full range of filing and prosecution services, obtaining national and European Union trade mark registrations and Community design registrations, as well as patents in all relevant jurisdictions and across all technical fields.
- Customs detentions – we can register your IPRs with UK Customs (HMRC), which can empower Customs authorities throughout the EU to detain suspected counterfeit goods. We work together with Customs authorities around the EU, either directly or via trusted overseas associates, to oversee each detention from initial notification through to destruction (where appropriate). We can also work with you to create brand protection guides, arrange for training of Customs officials, and utilise the new Enforcement Database. Please click here to learn more.
- Out in the field – our anti-counterfeiting team visits Customs officers and other agencies in person where necessary, especially to support complex or large-scale operations. Please click here to learn more about how our team combats counterfeiters out in the field.
- Trading Standards and Police – we work with Trading Standards and the Police across the UK to target internally traded counterfeit goods and assist the authorities in relation to specific investigations. We advise and act on obtaining interim relief, including search and seizure orders. We also issue witness statements for use as evidence in criminal prosecutions. In conjunction with overseas associates, we also coordinate similar actions involving enforcement agencies in other EU countries.
- Civil and criminal litigation and private prosecutions – our team of solicitors will seek to maximise your legal remedies, including pursuing Court proceedings where necessary. We bring vast litigation experience across a variety of industries affected by counterfeiting, including the apparel, electronics, FMCG and luxury goods sectors.
- Internet services – we can arrange for watching services and online surveillance and investigations, including taking action against infringing domain names and take-downs relating to websites selling counterfeit goods. We also liaise with the Police to take down sites.
- Your records – we can arrange a reporting mechanism that suits you, to keep you updated on anti-counterfeiting activity affecting your business, when and how you need it.
New Customs Regulation (EU) No. 608/2013 No. 608/2013
HMRC website http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk