New Generic Top Level Domains (gTLDs)
On 12 January 2012, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) will open the application window for the New Generic Top Level Domains (gTLD) Program.
The application process will be managed via ICANN’s TLD Application System (also referred to as TAS) and it involves two key stages: (1) registration, and (2) application. The former is also quite complex and can take up to a few days to complete.
For this reason, ICANN has introduced two separate deadlines; prospective applicants will have until:
- 29 March 2012 to complete their registration; and
- 12 April 2012 to submit their full application(s).
ICANN’s New gTLDs microsite provides a wealth of information on the application process and TAS including:
- a TAS Interactive Demo showing prospective applicants how to use the system,
- Reference Materials for Applicants, and
- a series of videos explaining the Application & Evaluation Process. Of particular relevance will be the video ‘Understanding the Applicant Guidebook Questionnaire’, which focuses on the rationale behind and the importance attributed to each individual question in the application questionnaire.