I have a strong technical background in the physical, chemical and biomedical sciences, and enjoy applying this knowledge in the patenting field.
My work includes opposition and opinion work, and I am experienced in the prosecution of UK, European and foreign patent applications in the chemical and pharmaceutical fields.
Prior to joining D Young & Co, I completed my doctoral research in medicinal chemistry at the University of Oxford. My research focused on the development of small molecule ligands for epigenetic targets. I have also conducted work in relation to induced pluripotent stem cells, development of ligands to target G-protein coupled receptors, and the synthesis of fluorinated carbohydrates.
I have published articles in peer-reviewed journals, and presented my research at international conferences.
- MChem (Hons) in Chemistry, Pembroke College, University of Oxford.
- DPhil in Organic Chemistry, Lincoln College, University of Oxford (research part-funded by GlaxoSmithKline).
- Certificate in Intellectual Property Law, Queen Mary, University of London.
- Chartered Patent Attorney 2018.
- European Patent Attorney 2018.
- Certificate in IP litigation.
- Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA).
- European Patent Institute (epi).
- L.E. Jennings et al. BET bromodomain ligands: Probing the WPF shelf to improve BRD4 bromodomain affinity and metabolic stability. Bioorg. Med. Chem. 26(11):2937-2957 (2018).
- A.R. Sekirnik et al. Isoxazole-derived amino acids are bromodomain-binding acetyl-lysine mimics: incorporation into histone H4 peptides and histone H3. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 55(29):8353-8357 (2016).
- L.E. Jennings et al. Phenotypic screening and fragment-based approaches to the discovery of small-molecule bromodomain ligands. Future Med. Chem. 6(2):179-204 (2014).
- D.S. Hewings et al. Progress in the development and application of small molecule inhibitors of bromodomain-acetyl-lysine interactions. J. Med. Chem. 55(2):9393-413 (2012).
- G.T. Giuffredi et al. Facile synthesis of 4-deoxy-4-fluoro-α-D-talopyranoside, 4-deoxy-4-fluoro-α-D-iodopyranoside and 2,4-dideoxy-2,4-difluoro-α-D-talopyranoside. J. Fluor. Chem. 132(10):772-778 (2011).
- M.C. Corentine et al. Fragment-based identification of ligands for bromodomain-containing factor 3 of Trypanosoma cruzi. ACS Infect. Dis. 7(8):2238–2249 (2021)