With a background in physics, I’ve always been excited by new science. Supporting clients’ expansion as they develop and launch new products is one of the best aspects of my job.
I became a partner at D Young & Co in 2010. Before entering the patent profession in 2001, I spent ten years working in academia. My main interests there included the design, construction and deployment of astronomical instruments; image and time series analysis techniques; spacecraft operations at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center; plus undergraduate and postgraduate teaching.
Drawing on my technical expertise in a wide range of physics, electronics and mechanical subjects, I draft patent applications for worldwide prosecution, direct and coordinate patent prosecution strategies in different jurisdictions as well as undertaking opposition work. In addition, I regularly advise on infringement and validity issues, freedom to operate analyses and due diligence exercises.
My clients range from individuals to large corporations – extending into aerosol delivery systems, mobile telecommunications, embryology, the oil industry, radiation detection, capacitive sensing, optical devices and medical imaging. I really value developing close working relationships with my clients. This allows me to fully understand their business IP needs and advise them in a commercially relevant way.
- Patent attorney with technical speciality (electronics), Juve Patent, UK 2022.
- BSc in Physics with Astrophysics and PhD in Experimental Physics, University of Birmingham.
- Certificate in Intellectual Property Law, Queen Mary, University of London.
- Chartered Patent Attorney 2005.
- European Patent Attorney 2006.
- Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA).
- European Patent Institute (epi).
- European Practice Committee of the American Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO).