I joined the D Young & Co team in 1998, and was made partner in 2004. With an extensive background in chemistry – particularly with a small molecule pharmaceutical and veterinary angle – I enjoy bringing my scientific and legal expertise to bear for my clients in a fast-changing industry.
I’ve since gained a wealth of experience working with academic and research institutes, start-ups, biotechnological and pharmaceutical SMEs – as well as larger blue-chip companies. This has included handling subject matter across a broad range of chemical technologies, including pharmaceuticals, therapeutic/diagnostic methods, enzymology, drug-peptide conjugates, process chemistry, antisense RNA technology, polymers, polymorphs and formulation chemistry.
My day-to-day practice involves drafting, prosecution, EPO oppositions/appeals and opinion work on freedom to operate. I also have experience in coordinating multi-jurisdictional litigation proceedings, and regularly advise small clients on IP due diligence for project acquisitions, investment/licencing opportunities and stock market flotations.
I am D Young & Co’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Officer. I have signed the IP Inclusive Senior Leaders' Pledge to demonstrate my personal commitment to improving diversity and inclusion (D&I) in our firm.
- MA in Natural Sciences, St. Catharine’s College, University of Cambridge.
- PhD in Organic Chemistry (Research into porphyrin-based receptors, their synthesis and intracavity chemistry), University of Cambridge.
- Postdoctoral research (Investigating a combinatorial approach to synthesising macrocyclic receptors in the presence of transition state analogues), University of Cambridge.
- Certificate in Intellectual Property Law, Queen Mary, University of London.
- European Patent Attorney 2002.
- Chartered Patent Attorney 2002.
- Registered representative before the Unified Patent Court, 2023.
- Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA).
- European Patent Institute (epi).
- Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC).
- Ethyne-linked cyclic porphyrin oligomers: Synthesis and binding properties, J. Org. Chem., 1997, 62, 240.