Tara Fitz Gerald
I have particular experience in mechanical systems, consumer products, fluid dynamic inventions and medical devices. I particularly enjoy working with clients to identify potential IP and establish the best scope of protection for their inventions. Seeing the value a strong IP portfolio brings to clients is extremely rewarding.
I joined D Young & Co in 2024, having first started in the profession in 2014. Before joining the firm I worked as a patent attorney both in private practice and in-house for a leading UK internet retailer and grocery business. While working in-house, I provided extensive advice on the commercial aspects of IP protection and effective management of IP assets. I also worked for four years as a product design engineer in R&D. My background gives me a particular insight into providing commercially focused advice to clients.
I have experience prosecuting patent applications at the UK Intellectual Property Office (UKIPO), the European Patent Office (EPO) and other patent offices, as well as with drafting, oppositions, freedom to operate and validity opinions.
I also have experience obtaining registered design protection in the UK, the EU and the US. I have extensive experience advising clients on areas where design protection would be suitable and beneficial, as well as advising on the potential scope of protection provided by design rights.
- BAI in Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Trinity College Dublin.
- MSc in Biomedical Engineering, Imperial College London.
- Certificate in Intellectual Property Law, Queen Mary University of London.
- European Patent Attorney, 2018.
- Chartered Patent Attorney, 2021.
- Certificate in IP Litigation, 2023.
- Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA).
- European Patent Institute (epi)