I’ve always enjoyed learning about new technology – particularly when it advances people’s wellbeing and improves lives. This is an exciting part of my work at D Young & Co, and I see every new opportunity to support my clients as a chance to enhance my understanding and experience.
I joined D Young & Co as a partner in 2013, having been partner at other leading firms since 2001. Throughout my career, I’ve represented high profile clients in disputes before the UK Courts, and in connection with parallel cases in other jurisdictions, including EPO oppositions.
I’ve worked on cases in a wide range of technological fields including life sciences, chemicals, electronics and mechanical engineering, as well as fast moving consumer goods. I’ve also acted in major design cases, and advised clients on a variety of other IP issues including confidential information and misleading advertising. I’m also experienced in the mediation and arbitration of patent disputes.
For several years I’ve been heavily involved in lobbying and consulting efforts relating to the unitary patent and Unified Patent Court, in particular through my role as Chair of the Laws Committee of the Licensing Executives Society (LES) (Britain & Ireland). I’ve also written and spoken widely on a range of patent and design litigation issues.
- BEng in Mechanical Engineering, University College London 1989.
- Solicitor, England & Wales 1993.
- Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice, University of Bristol 1994.
- Solicitor Advocate (Higher Rights Civil) 2003.
- Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA).
- Law Society of England and Wales.
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO).
- Licensing Executives Society (LES).
- Intellectual Property Lawyers' Association.
- European Patent Lawyers Association (EPLAW).