In my role as senior technical searcher, I conduct tailor-made scientific and IP-related patent and literature searches to support the processes of patent drafting, prosecution and opposition and to provide business advice.
These in-house searches include patentability searches and validity searches using a variety of proprietary databases as well as publicly available patent and scientific literature databases. I provide searches conducted by subject matter, using keywords and classification codes, and by assignee and inventor, in biology and chemistry-related subjects with particular expertise in biotechnology, pharmaceuticals and molecular microbiology.
In addition, I work closely with preferred external search companies to guide the process of externally commissioned searches. I also perform nucleotide and amino acid sequence analysis and prepare sequence listings for patent applications to meet WIPO Standard ST.25 requirements.
Before joining D Young & Co in 2005, my previous experience was in research and development with Pfizer and SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals.
I am a qualified patent information professional (QPIP), registered with the International Standards Board for Qualified Patent Information Professionals (ISBQPIP).
- BSc (Hons) Biological Sciences, University of Exeter (awarded the JL Sager prize).
- PhD in Molecular Microbiology, Imperial College London.
- Postdoctoral research, Royal Postgraduate Medical School.
- Qualified Patent Information Professional (QPIP).
- Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA).
- Associate member of the International Standards Board for Qualified Patent Information Professionals (ISBQPIP).