European patent prosecution & litigation webinars
Our January programme of European patent prosecution & litigation webinars will provide an update on case law and procedure from an extremely eventful year at the European Patent Office (EPO), the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU), and the UK courts.
Key areas of focus will be SPCs, the amended Rules of Procedure of the Boards of Appeal, important UK patent litigation cases including Shanks v Unilvever, BDI Holding v Argent, Actavis v ICOS and Unwired Planet v Huawei plus Enlarged Board decisions G1/18, G2/19, G3/19 and G1/19. Further details for each webinar are given below.
This programme of webinars will be of interest to in-house counsel and associates who are involved or interested in European prosecution and litigation.
The three webinars will be presented by IP specialists Garreth Duncan (European Patent Attorney), Antony Craggs (Solicitor Advocate), Bénédicte Moulin (European Patent Attorney) and Catherine Keetch (European Patent Attorney).
Each webinar will run once on the afternoon of Tuesday 21 January 2020 and then be available on-demand. Topics and decisions we anticipate discussing are given below.
2pm: UK patent litigation
Speakers: Antony Craggs, Solicitor Advocate & Bénédicte Moulin, European Patent Attorney.
- Shanks v Unilever (inventor compensation).
- BDI Holding v Argent; Prosyscor v Netsweeper (patent entitlement).
- Regen Lab v Estar; Eli Lilly v Genentech; Technetix v Teleste (the doctrine of equivalents and potential defences).
- Actavis v ICOS (the application of ‘reasonable expectation of success’ when assessing obviousness).
- Unwired Planet v Huawei (the English court’s jurisdiction to determine the terms of a FRAND licence).
3.30pm: Supplementary patent certificates (SPCs)
Speaker: Garreth Duncan, European Patent Attorney.
- C-650/17 and C-114/18 (Advocate General points the specific way, with an important update from the CJEU expected at the end of December 2019).
- C-239/19 (CJEU ducks issue of “third party” SPCs).
4.30pm: EPO case law and procedure
Speakers: European Patent Attorneys Bénédicte Moulin & Catherine Keetch.
- The amended Rules of Procedure of The Boards of Appeal (in force on 01 January 2020) key revisions and implications for practitioners and rights owners.
- Enlarged Board Decision G1/18 (reimbursement appeal fee).
- Enlarged Board Decision G2/19 (third party’s right to oral proceedings).
- Enlarged Board referral G3/19 (plants produced by an essentially biological process).
- Enlarged Board referral G1/19 (computer implemented simulations).
Registration & timings
Each webinar topic will run once only on the day and then be available on-demand. To listen to all three webinars please register for each one separately. Select your registration link below to register:
- Register for webinar 1: UK patent litigation, 2pm GMT
- Register for webinar 2: SPCs, 3.30pm GMT
- Register for webinar 3: EPO case law and procedure, 4.30pm GMT
There will be an opportunity to ask questions during the webinars.
Once your registration has been approved, be sure to check system requirements to avoid any connection issues.
Sign up anyway. The recording of this webinar will be sent out automatically to all registrants. Listen and watch later at a time to suit you.
Questions or suggestions?
Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to answer your pre-webinar questions.